How To Redeem American Airlines Miles: Europe
This post is part of the series How To Redeem American Airlines AAdvantage Miles
Let’s talk about how to redeem American Airlines miles for flights to Europe. This is not the best way to redeem AAdvantage miles since award availability is scarce. It can be very difficult to find award availability on American Airlines to Europe. And when you find find award availability on partners like British Airway; fuel surcharges can cost you hundreds of dollars.
AAdvantage Europe Awards – Pricing
American Airlines charges the following rates for flights to Europe: (One-way)
- Economy Off-Peak: 22,500 January 10 – March 14 and November 1 – December 14
- Economy: 30,000
- Business: 57,500
- First: 85,000
This is what American Charges for flights on it’s own “metal”
You’re always going to be looking for the MileSAAVER prices, AAnytime prices are extremely high and not worth it.
This is what American Airlines charges for flights on it’s partners to Europe (British Airways, Iberia, Airberlin and Finnair)
AAdvantage Domestic Awards – Searching for availability
- Go to aa.com and click the “Redeem Miles” check-box
- Enter your “From” and “To” airports and desired date of departure and click search
- Results will show for 1 week around your selected departure date. You can click on “Show Calendar” to see more available dates
- Select your desired date and cabin and click continue. (for this example I’m looking to book a business class one-way ticket from New York to London)
- Select the available flight and log in to your AAdvantage account
- You’ll see summary of your trip. Enter your information and you’re done.
- Note that the taxes and fees of $5.60 would be the same for economy, business or first class travel on American Airlines.
See below the amount of taxes and fees to pay if you fly the same route but on British Airways!! An absurd amount of $442.10
AAdvantage Europe Awards Bottom Line:
Booking award flights to Europe using American Airlines AAdvantage miles is pretty easy as long as you find the availability. Just remember, it’s never a good idea to redeem American Airlines miles to Europe on British Airways due to the very high fuel surcharges.
Stay tuned for more on redeeming American Airlines miles.
In the meantime you can use my “Book Award Travel” form to get my help on your next award trip.
If you have any questions please comment below, tweet me @pointspointers or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org