10 Reasons Why The Citi Prestige Still Worth It?
After the recent changes in it’s benefits, I was asked if Citi Prestige still worth it? The short answer is YES! I love this card for many reasons that I will go over below. Even though this card comes with a $450 annual fee, the amount of perks and benefits that come with this card makes it of great value for just about everyone for at least one year.
- Earn 40,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after $4,000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening. These points can be used as follows:
- $640 toward flights on American Airlines (1.6 cent per point value) – Until July 23rd 2017
- $532 toward flights on any other airline (1.33 cent per point value) – Until July 23rd 2017
- $500 towards all airfare (1.25 cent per point value) – On or after July 23rd 2017
- $400 in gift cards from a wide range of merchants
- Bonus on everyday spend
- 3 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on Air Travel and Hotels
- 2 ThankYou Points per $1 spent on Dining Out & Entertainment
- 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on other purchases
- Several Airline and Hotel transfer partners
- Asia Miles™
- Etihad Guest
- EVA Air Infinity MileageLands
- Flying Blue Air France KLM
- Garuda Indonesia Frequent Flyer
- Hilton HHonors™
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus
- Virgin America Elevate®
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- $250 Air Travel Credit, per calendar year, to be applied to flight-related expenses charged to your card, including airline tickets, baggage fees, upgrades and more. I consider this benefit as good as cash because the credit applies to any airfare or even airline gift cards.
- Complimentary 4th night stay at any hotel of your choice. This is a huge benefit that I can’t wrap my head around. You can stay an unlimited number of 4 night stays at hotels all around the world and get the 4th night free!!
- Until July 23rd 2017 – You’ll get the exact cost of the 4th night back. Let’s say you stay at a hotel December 28th – January 1st where night 1 is $300 and night 2 is $300 and night 3 is $300 and night 4 (December 31st) is the most expensive and costs $1,000, you get the $1,000 back!!
- On or after July 23rd 2017 – The Complimentary 4th Night benefit will be calculated based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit. You will still be able to enjoy your benefit at any hotel with no restrictions on the number of times you can use this benefit.
- Enjoy complimentary access to American Airlines Admirals Club® lounges for you and two guests or immediate family anytime you fly American Airlines regardless of cabin class. – Until July 23rd 2017 (for those who currently hold the card or applied before 8/31/16). If you apply for the card now, you won’t get Admirals Club access.
- Enjoy complimentary access to hundreds of VIP lounges through Priority PassTM Select membership. Unlike the Priority Pass membership you get with the American Express Platinum card, you don’t need to enroll, you will receive your Priority Pass membership card about a week after you receive your Citi Prestige card. You also get to bring two guests or your immediate family with you, whereas, with the AMEX Platinum Card membership you have to pay $27 for each guest.
- Global Entry or TSA Pre ✔ ® Application Fee Credit. Receive a statement credit, up to $100 every 5 years, as reimbursement for your application fee for Global Entry or TSA Pre ✔ ®
- Three complimentary greens fees at more than 2,400 public and private golf courses around the globe. – Until July 23rd 2017
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
So why is the Citi Prestige still worth it? I truly believe this is the most well rounded credit card in the market right now and should be of great value for anyone for at least the first year. If you apply now, you can use the $250 airfare credit before the end of the year and use it again in 2017 since this is a calendar year benefit and not a membership year benefit. You can also receive $100 back after you apply for Global Entry or TSA Pre ✔ and pay for the fee using your prestige card. So essentially you get $600 in statement credit and pay $450 fee for the first year. You’re already up $150 without counting the 40,000 bonus ThankYou® Points or how many free 4th night stays at hotels you’ll enjoy.
Also, the earlier you apply, the longer you’ll enjoy the benefits that are going away on July 23rd 2017.
This is a no brainer card for me!
If you have any questions please comment below, tweet me @pointspointers or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org